science expo 2020

For my Science Expo project, I have to devise a science experiment, record data, and determine a conclusion. For my experiment, I substituted bacon fat for butter in a chocolate and caramel cupcake. This experiment falls into the category of chemistry. It is technically baking, but baking is chemistry. Butter in baking creates moist and delicate cakes. What impact will the substitution of bacon fat have? 

Butter and bacon fat differ in many ways that are significant to baking. Butter is more dense. It weighs 8 oz. per cup while bacon fat weighs 7.28 oz. per cup. Bacon fat has 42% less saturated fat than butter and almost twice as much monounsaturated fat. Butter also has more moisture than lard. With these interesting facts, I will tell you how I conducted my experiment. I baked two batches of my chocolate caramel cupcakes, one with bacon fat and one with butter.  Once my cupcakes were done, my family, a couple of friends, and I took a survey and created a compare and contrast chart. I also noted the differences between the two cupcakes myself. My hypothesis is that the bacon cupcake will be lighter in texture than the butter one. I expect the tops of the cupcakes to be crispier with the bacon fat. I also believe that the butter cupcake will be more moist than the bacon fat cupcake. 

Chocolate cupcakes with caramel frosting are moist, tender and topped with caramel buttercream & a drizzle of salted caramel.